Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Reading about New Materialism (1)



In this week, I've read a lot information about New Materialism from the internet.(I've also checked in our library but I found nothing about New Materialism there.)
I believe it's very important to have a research on the term before I start to doing some artwork.
Here's something I got from these reading. I think they are useful inspiration to my work:


New Materialism brings into focus and explains the significance of the innovative materialist critiques that are emerging across the social sciences and humanities.

http://books.google.com/books/about/New_Materialisms.html?id=S_2WngEACAAJ

This book explained New Materialism has a wide, extensive category of theories, and it had a effect on social and political relationships.
The authors also describe how the currents in New Materialism can be traced to several different fields, and they identify three main branches: ontology, agency and politics - that's there thing I must consider when I do my own artwork.


New materialism is a collective name for recent currents and developments within the social sciences and humanities. Within this relatively broad and diverse discourse, new ways of thinking about the role of subjects in relation to material objects in different contexts are raised. 

In the blackout of the system, many different things were identified to have contributed, some of which were directly related to objects rather than subjects.

Scholars involved with New materialism tend to think about the world as more of a complex and process oriented entity, rather than as a clear and direct action-response based one.

http://philosophiesresarc.net/2013/05/14/new-materialism-andor-who-is-the-agent/

This is the most useful article I got in this week. It talks about New Materialism in many ways. Lots of example helps me to understand what the New Materialism is, especially the portrait photograph example.


This book is the first monograph on the theme of “new materialism,” an emerging trend in 21st century thought that has already left its mark in such fields as philosophy, cultural theory, feminism, science studies, and the arts. 

New Materialism is a title intended to provoke. The authors concede that the book's various arguments are not exactly new, and further, that certain expressions of materialism are uncannily immaterial. 

http://openhumanitiespress.org/new-materialism.html

This is an abstract of a book. It offered another view on New Materialism.


After these reading, I've known that New Materialism has a wide, extensive category of theories. In next couple of weeks, I'll keep reading articles about New Materialism to dig deeper about this theory. Now I'm interested in make animation based on Monet's Grain stacks series and Magritte's On the Threshold of Liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment